Al-Ahli has named Matthias Jaissle as manager on a three-year deal, the newly-promoted Saudi Pro League club said on Friday just hours after Red Bull Salzburg sacked the German.
The Austrian champion released the 35-year-old from his duties after the ex-Hoffenheim player asked to join the Saudis.
“We believe that a coach who is so intensely concerned with a possible change of club just two days before the start of an important season should not be there for this opener either,” Salzburg managing director Stephen Rider said in a statement.
“We want to start the new season with full energy and conviction. To do that, we need 100% focus from everyone involved.”
Al-Ahli, promoted as the champion of the Saudi First Division League (second tier) last term, has signed striker Roberto Firmino from Liverpool, Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy and Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez in the close season.
- England vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: ENG 92/1 (14); Malan, Root rebuild after Bairstow falls; ENG vs NED updates
- Shaji Prabhakaran: AIFF’s decision to terminate me comes as a shock
- Shaji Prabhakaran sacked as AIFF Secretary General
- Shubman Gill overtakes Babar Azam to become No 1 ODI batter; Siraj claims top bowling spot
- ISL Diary: Chennai in carnival mode