Brazil will host Argentina at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro in a crucial group-stage World Cup qualifying match on Wednesday. (November 22)
Although the two arch-rivals were scheduled to play an international friendly at Melbourne Cricket Stadium on 11 June, 2022, the match was cancelled after Leonel Messi and Co. refused to travel to Australia.
Hence, the Superclasico was last played in the group stage of South American World Cup qualifiers for the FIFA 2022 World Cup on November 17, 2021, which ended in a goalless draw at Estadio San Juan del Bicentenario in San Juan.
Messi, Lautaro Martinez and Angel di Maria started for Brazil while Neymar Jr. missed the tense end-to-end match due to injury. Brazil started Vinicius Jr and Raphinia alongside Matheus Cunha.
Despite the lack of goals, the match was high on drama and action as both sides registered nine shots. Vinicius, Fred came close to giving Brazil the lead while Lionel Messi drew an excellent save from Alison in the dying minutes of the second half.
- Beth Mead back in England squad for Nations League games
- What happened when Brazil last played Argentina?
- FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: India vs Qatar Predicted XI
- What happened when India football team played against Qatar last time?
- India vs Qatar, FIFA World Cup qualifiers: Igor Stimac’s work over the years is bearing fruits now, says Rahul Bheke