Napoli will not sack Ancelotti, says De Laurentiis

Napoli only need a draw to progress from Group C but Carlo Ancelotti's job is not on the line, says club president Aurelio De Laurentiis.

Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti's Napoli will qualify from Group C if it avoids defeat at last season's finalist Liverpool.   -  Getty Images

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says he will not sack Carlo Ancelotti if the Serie A side misses out on Champions League qualification.

Ancelotti's team will qualify from Group C if it avoids defeat at last season's finalist Liverpool on Tuesday, or if it loses and Paris Saint-Germain is also beaten at Red Star Belgrade. PSG needs a win to guarantee its own progress but will also be through if Liverpool fails to beat Napoli.

READ | The cake has been made, now we need the cherry - Ancelotti targets repeat at Anfield

Although Napoli is second in the Serie A table having won four of its last five games, it is already eight points behind leader Juventus, which is hunting an eighth consecutive title.

But De Laurentiis will keep faith in Ancelotti, which previously said Napoli would be "a*******s" if it fails to finish in the top two in Group C.

"Going out of the Champions League or continuing does not change anything, for me this year’s big signing remains Ancelotti," the club president, also a film producer, said on Radio Kiss Kiss.

"I am happy to have found a partner like I did in film. We've been in Europe for nine years. You know I am always thinking differently about football.

"We are out at sea, it's our natural element, and for the Neapolitans it's important, we hope it's a good omen. I never look back, that's my philosophy: always think about tomorrow."