C Bengaluru United (FCBU) downed Indian Air Force with a convincing 4-2 scoreline in a preliminary leg group-A match at the Kalyani Stadium on Thursday, to become the first team to make it to the knockout stage of the Durand Cup football.
Spanish forward Pedro Manzi played a key role as he found the target twice and set up Yumnam Gopi Singh to score the other two, to help FCBU secure its second consecutive win and collect enough points to secure a place in the quarterfinals. Indian Air Force produced both its replies through captain Vivek Kumar.
Bengaluru United, which had beaten CRPF by a solitary goal in the opening group league match, went ahead in the 21st minute when Manzi found the net from a penalty.
The Bengaluru side doubled the lead in the 28th minute when Gopi Singh made the most of a Manzi assist to score. Three minutes before the break, Vivek got one back for the Airmen and then nodded home the equaliser from a corner in the 52nd minute to put Bengaluru United under pressure.
Vivek had a few chances to take the Airmen in the lead but missed the opportunities. On the other hand, the Manzi-Gopi combination came good once again for FCBU, which regained the lead in the 72nd minute. The Spaniard made it 4-2 in stoppage time to make the FCBU win look convincing.
In a match between the two regimental teams, Army Red proved its superiority by downing Assam Rifles 4-1 at the Salt Lake Stadium and started its campaign in group D on a convincing note.
- IPL 2024 auction: No Hugh Edmeades for Dec 19 event; BCCI set to rope in a new gavel master after five seasons
- Indian sports news wrap, December 4
- Wiegman expects Scotland to be up for England game despite Olympic dream
- Christian Pulisic enjoying new lease of life at Milan ahead of Copa America
- Scottie Scheffler clinches Hero World Challenge title; Woods ends in 18th place