Liton Shil scored and was later sent off as Indian Army beat Odisha FC by a solitary goal in a Durand Cup Group F match on Monday.
Shil’s 42nd-minute goal proved to be enough for Indian Army to clinch victory against the ISL side.
RELATED DURAND CUP INFORMATION:
- Durand Cup 2023 Full Schedule: East Bengal vs Mohun Bagan on August 12, Final on September 3
- Durand Cup 2023: All you need to know about Indian football’s oldest tournament; Schedule, groups, live streaming info
- Jamshedpur FC announces 22-member squad for Durand Cup
- Durand Cup 2023: Bengaluru FC announces 28-member squad
- East Bengal signs Jordan Elsey, Jose Antonio Pardo Lucas
Indian Army started the game on the front foot and it could have bagged an early goal if an unmarked Rahul Ramakrishnan could have found the target from a cutback from right winger L Deepak Singh.
Indian Army continued to press hard with Christopher Kamei’s shot being saved by Odisha keeper Niraj Kumar.
Just three minutes before half-time, Samir Murmu played a through ball for centre forward Shil who ran past two defenders and finished expertly to give the Indian Army side the lead.
Indian Army was reduced to 10 men in the 77th minute as goal scorer Shil was shown a straight red card for a clumsy foul on Odisha defender Tankadhar Bag.
In the final moments, Odisha piled on the pressure, but the experienced Army men saw off the dangers to open its campaign with a win.
- India vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: Rohit, Gill bring up 50 partnership in 6 overs - IND v NED match updates
- MotoGP 2023: Bastianini wins Malaysian Grand Prix as Bagnaia extends title lead
- India vs Netherlands Dream11 Prediction, World Cup 2023: IND vs NED playing XI, fantasy team, squads
- Full list of teams qualified for Champions Trophy 2025: England makes the cut, Afghanistan to debut
- ICC World Cup 2023 Points Table after ENG vs PAK: England seventh, Pakistan finishes at fifth place