With no plans to alter the existing 2024 PGA schedule, the opening event at Kapalua in Maui is “absolutely” still on the PGA Tour calendar.
“We’re in constant contact. I’m in contact with the governor. We hope to be a source of inspiration for the great people of Maui and Lahaina by the time that we get to Maui in January,” commissioner Jay Monahan said Tuesday at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta.
Officials in Hawaii continue to calculate the toll from wildfires this month responsible for more than 100 deaths and billions of dollars in property losses and damage.
The Sentry at Kapalua’s Plantation Course is the first event of the 2024 calendar for the PGA Tour starting Jan. 4. The nearby village of Lahaina was destroyed.
“I think at this point there are so many unknowns, and we want to be respectful of the challenges,” Monahan said. “We want to help be a part of the revitalization. There are a lot of considerations. We’re committed, you know, if we’re allowed to, if we’re invited, if we’re embraced. Given all that needs to be accomplished, we will be there 100 percent.”
Monahan credited Sentry tournament director Max Novena and Kapalua employees, who’ve aided fire victims and displaced Lahaina residents by preparing meals and offering shelter. Kapalua, a resort community on Maui, is surrounded by a nature preserve and beaches.
A second tournament on the islands at Waialae Country Club in Honolulu is scheduled for January 11-14.
“All of our attention is to try and get back to Kapalua and to try and be as close to what we’ve been in the past,” Monahan said.
- England vs Netherlands, LIVE Streaming Info, World Cup 2023: When and where to watch ENG vs NED match today?
- Saudi Pro League champion Al-Ittihad sacks coach Espirito Santo
- FIH Hockey Olympic Qualifiers: Indian women’s team to face New Zealand, USA and Italy in Pool B
- How Afghanistan’s rapid ascent in 2023 ODI World Cup came to be: A behind-the-scenes look
- James Hillier: Realistic target for Paris 2024 is to get as many athletes into the final as possible