Pakistan is the most successful team in the hockey World Cup, winning the title four times - 1971, 1978, 1982 and 1994.
The team’s dominance, however, has waned off since the turn of the new century. After winning six medals between the inception of the World Cup in 1971 and 1994, Pakistan has not managed a single medal in the tournament.
It failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 2014 for the Hague edition. The 2023 edition in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela will be the second time Pakistan will not be taking part in the World Cup.
Pakistan had the chance to make it to the tournament during the Asia Cup in 2022, held in Dhaka. Pakistan was drafted in Pool B alongside India, Japan and Indonesia.
The side drew 1-1 against India in the opening match before hammering Indonesia 13-0 in the second Pool match. However, a 2-3 loss to Japan in the last match saw Pakistan end in third place and fail to advance to the semifinals.
As per the qualification rules by FIH, only the top four from the Asia Cup will qualify for the World Cup. Japan, South Korea and Malaysia were the teams that sealed their spots. While India also made it to the semifinals, it had already qualified by virtue of being the host nation.
Out of the Asian qualifiers, Japan and South Korea have been drafted in the same group - Pool B - along with Belgium and Germany. India, meanwhile, is in Pool D and will take on England, Wales and Spain.
RELATED HOCKEY WORLD CUP COVERAGE
- Who are the five international stars to look out for in FIH WC in Odisha?
- What are the FIH rankings of teams ahead of men’s WC?
- Complete squad list of all 16 teams
- Which team has won the most Hockey World Cup titles?
- Hockey World Cup: All you need to know about the WC trophy
- Who are the top goal scorers at every men’s WC since 1971
- Complete list of men’s WC winners from 1971 to 2018
- Full fixtures list, knockouts, dates, time and venues in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela
- Spanish football federation representatives call for resignation of Rubiales
- East Bengal vs NorthEast United, Live score, Durand Cup 2023 semifinal: Preview, Live streaming info, Lineups
- KL Rahul to miss Pakistan and Nepal Asia Cup 2023 matches: Dravid
- Mandhana to skip WBBL for second year in row
- U.S. Open: Wozniacki downs Prozorova to make winning return