Seeded players Anett Kontaveit, Belinda Bencic and Elise Mertens all got through tough three-set matches to reach the second round of the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy on Monday.
Kontaveit, who’s seeded No. 2 behind Maria Sakkari, had the least trouble of the three as she defeated Swiss player Jil Teichmann 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 on the opening day of the tournament.
Fifth seed Bencic came from 3-0 down in the third set to force a tiebreak and defeat Veronika Kudermetova 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (5), and No. 8 seed Mertens came from a break down in the third set to beat Alize Cornet 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Also, home favorite Ekaterina Alexandrova defeated Italy’s Camila Giorgi 6-2, 1-6, 6-2.
- Christian Pulisic enjoying new lease of life at Milan ahead of Copa America
- Scottie Scheffler clinches Hero World Challenge title; Woods ends in 18th place
- New Zealand eyes comeback win in second Test against Bangladesh
- SLC files anti-graft commission complaint against ex-sports minister Ranasinghe
- ‘New Leicester’ Girona can win LaLiga, says ex-Spain player Luis Garcia