Hyderabad Black Hawks defeated the Chennai Blitz 10-15, 15-14, 15-9, 12-15, 15-11 in the second season of the Prime Volleyball League at the Gachibowli Indoor Stadium in Hyderabad.
SV Guru Prashanth was named the Player of the match.
Jobin Varghese showed a fiery spirit straight off the bat, making his presence known with fiery attacks and strong blocks. Akhin’s presence breathed new life into Chennai’s attacks.
Naveen’s smart attacks from the outside lines kept causing troubles for the Hawks, but Guru kept bringing things back to level pegging with his spikes. Hemanth’s magic with the serves kept Hyderabad in the match. Guru found space to go for hard spikes and Hyderabad took control of the match.
The miscommunications between Chennai players led to errors from Akhin and Hyderabad made the most of it. Lal Sujan started feeding the middle and Trent O’Dea came to life to shut down Chennai’s resistance.
But just when it looked like the hosts will run away with the contest, libero Ramanathan and Prasanna began setting up Akhin for spikes. Pulling off a double duty, with serves and blocks from the middle, Akhin brought his team back into the contest.
With the match going right down to the wire, it was a real test of nerves for both sides. Hyderabad faltered with their receptions as Renato tested the opposition with powerful serves. But the two-man defence line of Saurabh Maan and John Joseph tackled Akhin and made sensational blocks in the final few minutes to help Hyderabad pick a sensational win.
Ahmedabad Defenders will be up against Chennai at 7 PM on Sunday.
- ATP Finals 2023: Sinner beats Medvedev, becomes first Italian man to reach summit clash at year-end championships
- EURO 2024 qualifiers points table LIVE: Wales second in Group D, Ronaldo helps Portugal top Group J
- USA midfielder McKennie ruled out of CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinals second leg
- Fall of a European heavyweight? What is going wrong with four-time FIFA World Cup winner Germany?
- What is the venue for ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Final 2023?