Indian star shuttler PV Sindhu’s bid for a title came to an end in the Arctic Open, as the eighth seed went down fighting to fifth seed Zhi Yi Wang of China here on Saturday.
Sindhu lost the opening game 12-21 before bouncing back in the second 21-11. However, the Chinese upped the ante in the final game, beating Sindhu 21-7.
The 28-year-old had begun the tournament with a win over Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in the opening round, followed by a straight-game victory over Hsu Wen-chi of Taiwan in the second round.
In the quarterfinal, Sindhu prevailed over Nguyễn Thùy Linh of Vietnam before her semifinal loss that ended India’s run in the tournament.
Sindhu recently also participated in the Asian Games in Hangzhou, where she could not progress beyond the quarterfinal stage in the women’s singles competition.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: ENG 112/4, leads by 156 runs; Kuldeep gets Crawley after his fifty
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Saurashtra rebuild after Warrier strikes; Mulani picks two in two vs Baroda
- Gopi Thonakal wins elite men’s race in New Delhi Marathon
- WPL 2024: UP Warriorz mentor Lisa Sthalekar impressed with team’s fielding after narrow defeat to RCB
- Irfan Pathan lauds Akash Deep for a memorable debut, terms Yashasvi Jaiswal as ‘‘special’‘