India’s Karthikeyan Murali became just the third player from the country to defeat World number one Magnus Carlsen in classical chess.
The 24-year-old Indian managed to topple Carlsen while playing with black pieces in the seventh round of the ongoing Qatar Masters tournament.
Murali’s win over Carlsen, made him the third Indian after Harikrishna, who defeated the Norwegian in 2005, and Viswanathan Anand, the only other player from the country to have defeated Carlsen.
With this win, Murali joined the leaders which included the likes of India’s SL Narayan and Arjun Erigaisi, with a score of 5.5 out of 7.
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Openers Devine, Mandhana depart inside Powerplay
- Indian sports wrap, February 24
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Indrajith steps up as Tamil Nadu asserts control against Saurashtra
- IND vs ENG Test series: England spinner Leach to undergo knee surgery
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Nair’s knock gives Vidarbha the upper hand against Karnataka on Day 2