Windies ODI at Wankhede still uncertain

With no signing authority in the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), the representatives of the association again met the BCCI CEO, Rahul Johri, on Thursday, to acquaint him with the situation.

Whether the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) will finally be able to host the fourth Windies ODI at the Wankhede Stadium is still uncertain. (FILE IMAGE)   -  Getty Images

The clouds of uncertainty still hover over the staging of the fourth ODI between India and the West Indies at the Wankhede Stadium, scheduled on October 29.

With no signing authority in the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA), the representatives of the association—CS Naik, Ganesh Iyer, Armaan Mallick—again met the BCCI CEO, Rahul Johri, on Thursday, to acquaint him with the situation. But even after that, they were not sure whether the association will finally be able to host the fixture.

This comes a day after reports claimed that the decks have been cleared for Mumbai to host the game as scheduled. The MCA has faced an administrative vacuum since its Committee of Administrators vacated the post on September 15 after its term ended.

READ: Complimentary tickets row: TNCA holds ground despite BCCI's offer

Sources in the MCA, however, have told Sportstar that the situation has arised since there is no one to sign the orders and tenders on behalf of the association. That’s the reason the state association representatives have requested the Board to help them out. It has been learnt the BCCI still hasn’t given a green light, however, it has also not rejected the request, keeping hopes alive.

Sources have claimed that if it wants, the board can form an ‘ad hoc committee’, which may be given the power to sign all the documents on behalf of the MCA.

The MCA officials had approached the Bombay High Court seeking directions but were told to approach Supreme Court. Even former BCCI and MCA chief, Sharad Pawar, had approached the apex court pleading to appoint an ad-hoc committee, till a new body is elected. “But the matter may only be heard after a few days. That’s what we have heard,” a source in the know of things, said.

The BCCI officials however insisted that the match ‘in all likelihood’ will not be taken out of Mumbai, though the venue could be changed to the Cricket Club of India. However, there is not enough clarity yet.