India batter Prithvi Shaw slammed a double hundred for Northamptonshire in the One-Day Cup tournament against Somerset at the County Ground in Northampton on Wednesday.
Opening the batting in his third game for the Northants, Shaw notched up his maiden hundred for the side off 81 deliveries before switching gears to crack a sensational double century.
Shaw reached his second ton in double-quick time, off just 129 deliveries with 24 fours and eight sixes. The Mumbaikar’s previous double hundred came in the 2020-21 Vijay Hazare Trophy, where he struck an unbeaten 227 for Mumbai against Puducherry - the-then highest score in the tournament.
Shaw bettered that knock and eventually fell in the 50th over of the Northants innings after amassing a whirlwind 153-ball 244 with 28 fours and 11 sixes. Northants recorded its second highest score in the One-Day Cup, finishing on 415 for eight.
The 23-year-old broke numerous List A records with his ninth ton and his first in the format since a 165 in the Vijay Hazare Trophy for Mumbai in March 2021.
Shaw, who has featured in 56 List A games, has racked up over 2900 runs with 20 fifty-plus scores and a 50-plus average.
Shaw had been dismissed hitwicket on 34 on his Northants debut last week against Gloucestershire.
Here is a look at the records broken by Shaw with his knock for Northants:
- Prithvi Shaw surpassed Ollie Robinson’s 206 (for Kent in 2022) to record the highest individual score ever in the One-Day Cup.
- Shaw recorded his highest List A score - 244.
- Shaw recorded the third-best boundary haul by a batter in an innings in recorded men’s List A cricket - 39 (28 fours, 11 sixes).
- Shaw’s 244 is the second-highest score in English List A cricket, behind Ali Brown’s 268 in the Cheltenham & Gloucester Trophy in 2002.
- Shaw is the first batter to smash List A double hundreds in two countries.
- Shaw is also the first batter to record List A double hundred for two teams (Mumbai, Northamptonshire).
- Shaw surpassed Saif Zaib’s 136 to record the highest score by a Northants batter in the One-Day Cup.
- Shaw became just the second Indian after Rohit Sharma and fourth overall to record multiple List A double-hundreds. While Rohit has three such scores, Ali Brown and Travis Head have two apiece.
- Shaw broke Cheteshwar Pujara’s record for the highest score by an Indian in the One-Day Cup.
- Shaw became just the third batter to record a double hundred in the One-Day Cup.
- Shaw surpassed Sourav Ganguly’s 183 for India (v Sri Lanka, 1999) for the highest List A score by an Indian in England.
- Shaw’s current List A average (55.30) is the seventh-best overall and the fourth-best among Indians, only behind Ruturaj Gaikwad, Pujara and Virat Kohli.
- Saudi Pro League 2023-24: Al Nassr without Ronaldo draws against Al Hazem despite Talisca hattrick
- Al Nassr vs Al Hazem Highlights Saudi Pro League: NAS 4-4 HAZ; Talisca scores hattrick, Ricardo scores stoppage time equalizer
- WPL 2024: Smriti’s heroics in vain as Kapp, Jonassen help Delhi beat Bangalore by 25 runs
- German Open: Jolly-Gayatri advance to quarterfinals
- RCB-W vs DC-W Highlights WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals beats Royal Challengers by 25 runs