Openers Jay Bista and Aditya Tare put the Madhya Pradesh attack to sword, raised 111 runs in 11.4 overs and paved the way for Mumbai’s third straight win in a Group-D league match of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy Twenty20 at the Wankhede Stadium here on Monday.
The home team reached the winning target (160) in the 16th over, with Tare (74 n.o, 48 balls, 10 x 4s, 2 x 6s) and Suryakumar Yadav carving a quick fire unbeaten 54 partnership for the second wicket.
Electing to bat, Madhya Pradesh did not capitalise on the near nine-run an over rate it touched in the power play.
After the run out of Ashutosh Sharma in the first ball of the match, following a direct hit by Sarfaraz Khan, Rajat Patidar and Parth Sahani scored at will, and thereafter Anand Bais and Venkatesh Iyer also kept the scoreboard ticking, but the visitor failed to find the boundary often in order to post a stiff target.
Bista, whose style is cut out for the short format of the game, did not waste time and swung his bat freely to send the ball racing to the fence and over, treating the pacers and spinners with equal disdain.
After making a 36-ball 68 (7x4s, 4 x 6s) Bista mis-hit seamer Kuldeep Sen to Patidar at mid-wicket.
Tare who was at finish said: “Bista played a top class knock, it helped me to settle down. The pitch was good to bat. “
Earlier in the first match, Bengal posted a formidable 207 to put it across Meghalaya by 54 runs.
Madhya Pradesh 159/5 (Mukesh Sahani 47, Anand Bais 31, Zakir Mulani 1/17) lost to Mumbai 165/1 (Aditya Tare 78 n.o. Jay Bista 68 n.o) by nine wickets.
- India vs Australia Live Score, 5th T20I: AUS - 151/7 (19.3); Arshdeep dismisses Wade, Aussies need 10 runs in 3 balls
- ISL 2023-24: NorthEast United looks to avenge Durand Cup loss against East Bengal
- PKL LIVE Score, Gujarat Giants vs Bengaluru Bulls: Bharat leads Bulls’ comeback against Giants; GG 28-30 BB - Pro Kabaddi League 2023 updates
- ISL 2023-24 points table LIVE: FC Goa reclaims top spot after a 1-0 win over Kerala Blasters
- FC Goa vs Kerala Blasters FC, Highlights, FCG 1-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: Rowllin Borges’ strike takes Gaurs to the top of the table