Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni has called up three Premier League players for next month's World Cup qualifiers despite the South American country remaining on Britain's COVID-19 travel 'red list'.
Tottenham Hotspur's Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero along with Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez have been named in the 30-man squad for 2022 qualifiers against Paraguay (away), Uruguay and Peru (both home) from October 8-15.
Arrivals from red list countries must quarantine for 10 days and the three would therefore miss Premier League games on the weekend of October 16-17.
In August, the Premier League refused to release players headed to countries on the UK's red list due to strict quarantine rules on their return.
Last month, a World Cup qualifier between Argentina and Brazil was suspended after Brazilian health authorities accused a number of Premier League players of violating the country's COVID-19 quarantine rules.
Latest on Sportstar
- Bordeaux promotion bid in danger after fan assault on Rodez player ends game
- Moutinho and Costa to leave Wolves, Traore in talks to stay
- Novak Djokovic laments fans who ‘boo every single thing’ after lengthy French Open win
- French Open 2023, June 3 schedule: Swiatek, Rybakina in third-round action
- ‘I am a complete player’ says world number one Alcaraz