Jadon Sancho was a transfer target for Bayern Munich, the Bundesliga champion's sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic confirmed.
Sancho joined Borussia Dortmund from Manchester City in August 2017 and has made a fantastic start to the new season with Lucien Favre's side four points clear at the top of the table after 11 games.
The 18-year-old has recorded a league-high six assists despite often being used as a substitute, while he starred in Saturday's 3-2 Klassiker win over Bayern.
And, Salihamidzic has now revealed Bayern also tried to sign Sancho, 18, when he left City in search of more first-team opportunities.
"The truth is that Bayern Munich did want to sign Jadon Sancho and made him an offer which he, unfortunately, refused," Salihamidzic told Sport Bild .
Reports in Germany previously claimed that Bayern was offered the chance to sign Sancho, but instead rejected a transfer involving the teenager.
Sancho, whose form has earned his maiden England cap, explained that he joined Dortmund due to the club's history of promoting young talent.
Other youthful stars that have helped fire Dortmund to the Bundesliga's summit include Christian Pulisic and Jacob Bruun Larsen.
- Mitrovic’s late brace helps seal a huge win for Al Hilal against Ronald’s Al Nassr in Saudi Pro League
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr Highlights, HIL 3-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Savic, Mitrovic scores, Ronaldo’s goal ruled off side
- Aston Villa makes official complaint to UEFA after Legia Warsaw violence
- India Women’s squads for Tests, England T20Is announced: Saika Ishaque, Shubha Satheesh get maiden call-ups
- SA vs IND: Sai Sudharsan ‘lost for words’ after maiden India call-up for South Africa ODIs