Hertha Berlin defended its third place and the direct berth for the Champions League thanks to a 2-1 victory over the newly-promoted Ingolstadt.
Berlin waited after the break to pull ahead, as Genki Haraguchi tapped home Marvin Plattenhardt’s pinpoint cross into the box on 54 minutes.
Hertha gained momentum and doubled the lead 15 minutes later after Haraguchi assisted Salomon Kalou, who slotted home from five meters.
Ingolstadt reduced the margin through Lukas Hinterseer, whose header overcame Berlin custodian Rune Jarstein in the 75th minute.
After reaping the 14th victory of its season, Berlin established a four-point cushion over the fourth-placed Schalke. Ingolstadt remained at the 10th place.
Elsewhere, Claudio Pizarro’s 101st Bundesliga goal for Werder Bremen secured the host a 1-1 draw with Mainz.
Hoffenheim eased its relegation worries after earning its second straight win with a 3-1 victory over Hamburg. Struggling Eintracht Frankfurt snatched a 1-0 triumph to inflict the last-placed Hannover to its fourth loss in row.
Latest on Sportstar
- Stuttgart wins playoff, prolongs Hamburg’s wait to rejoin Bundesliga
- French Open 2023: Last Argentine standing Etcheverry into quarterfinals
- Postecoglou ready and waiting to confound expectations at Spurs
- Champions League final won’t define career, De Bruyne
- French Open 2023: Double bounce mistake was umpire’s fault and not mine, says Rune