Morocco progressed into the FIFA World Cup Round of 16 after its 2-1 win against Canada in a Group F fixture on Thursday at the AL Thumama stadium.
This is the first time that Morocco has qualified to the knockouts since the 1986 World Cup, where it lost to West Germany in the Round of 16.
Hakim Ziyech scored in the fourth minute, second fasted goal this edition, to provide an early lead to the African nation. Youssef El Nesyri followed suit and doubled the lead with a powerful shot inside the penalty box.
Canada pulled one back courtesy of an own goal from Nayef Aguerd but it wasn’t enough in the end.
With seven points from two wins and a draw, Walid Regragui’s side became the first African nation to top its group in World Cups since 1998.
Group F points table at the end of group stage:
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr LIVE Streaming info, Saudi Pro League: When, where to watch Cristiano Ronaldo, preview, prediction
- India vs Australia Live Streaming Info: When and where to watch IND vs AUS 4th T20I Live? All you need to know
- “Wherever you play, they prepare pitches according to the home team’s strength,” says former curator of Narendra Modi Stadium
- Dominica withdraws its bid to co-host the T20 World Cup 2024
- PKL: Which defender the most tackle points in a single Pro Kabaddi League match?