Chennaiyin FC will look to make it a hat-trick of wins when it takes on a struggling SC East Bengal in its third Indian Super League match in Vasco da Gama on Friday.
The two-time champion is still trying to find its feet under new manager Bozidar Bandovic, but the team has managed to pull off two wins — against Hyderabad FC and NorthEast United FC.
Against the Highlanders in the previous match, the team looked better organised than in the opener against HFC, and the 2-1 win will give it confidence.
Can do better
Speaking ahead of the match, Bandovic said, “We have a chance now to make three wins in a row. We need to be better, quicker and need to have good decisions. We had a very good start, and that is good for our confidence.”
East Bengal, on the other hand, has had a torrid start to its campaign with two losses and a draw.
What would be more worrying for them is that it has been weak defensively, conceding 10 goals so far.
In its last fixture, it lost 4-6 to Odisha FC after a 0-3 defeat to ATK Mohun Bagan. In the opening match, it played out a 1-1 draw against Jamshedpur FC.
Despite the setbacks, East Bengal coach Jose Manuel Diaz looked at the positives after the last game saying, “The fact that we have started scoring goals is a big positive. It is an indication of the fact that the attacking line-up has started clicking together.
“But in football, it is a matter of balance. We need to focus on rectifying our mistakes and backing ourselves to win the first match,” he added.
- Euro 2024: Germany to Spain, Italy and Croatia in group of death
- Premier League: Arsenal beats Wolves to go four points clear at top
- Vaishali, India’s third female Grandmaster, is making all the right moves
- IPL 2024 Auction: Scouts reveal domestic middle-order batters, fast bowlers likely to be hot property on December 19
- EURO 2024 full schedule: Complete list of matches, groups, kick-off time, venues, live streaming info