It wasn’t a rout like Napoli achieved routinely in last year’s group phase, but the Serie A champion came away with a 2-1 victory at Braga to open its Champions League campaign Wednesday.
An 88th-minute own goal from Braga defender Sikou Niakate was the decider minutes after Bruma had equalized for the hosts.
Niakate deflected in a cross from Piotr Zielinski.
Napoli captain Giovanni Di Lorenzo had scored in first-half stoppage time after Victor Osimhen nodded back a cross from Khvicha Kvaratskhelia.
Osimhen also hit the crossbar in the first half for the visitors.
In the other Group C match, Jude Bellingham scored in stoppage time to secure a 1-0 win for 14-time champion Real Madrid over newcomer Union Berlin.
Napoli reached the quarterfinals last year for its best Champions League finish but is still getting accustomed to playing under new coach Rudi Garcia. Luciano Spalletti left after guiding the Partenopei to their first Serie A title since the days when Diego Maradona played for the club.
Napoli won five of six matches and scored 20 goals in last season’s group phase.
It was Braga’s first Champions League group game in 11 years, having advanced through two qualifying rounds.
- IND vs NZ Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Semifinal: Rohit falls after giving India flying start vs New Zealand
- Rohit Sharma becomes first batter to hit 50 sixes in ODI World Cup history during IND vs NZ semifinal
- Most sixes in ODI World Cup history: Rohit Sharma crosses Gayle; Maxwell, Warner in top five
- Richest badminton tournament gets even richer
- IND vs NZ Live Toss, World Cup 2023 Semifinal: India wins toss, elects to bat