Those calling for Serie A cancellation 'don't like football or Italians' – FIGC president

Gabriele Gravina hit out at those calling for the cancellation of the Serie A campaign, which has been postponed since last month due to COVID-19.

Gabriele Gravina

"Those proposing to invoke the cancellation of the season don't like football or Italians and want to take away the hope of future and restarting football. I’ll hold out until the end," says FIGC president Gabriele Gravina.   -  Getty Images

Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina claimed those opposed to the resumption of the 2019-20 Serie A season "don't like football or Italians".

Serie A was suspended indefinitely in March due to the coronavirus pandemic and the FIGC has already stated that the campaign will not resume until the health and safety of all concerned can be guaranteed.

Italy's minister for sport Vincenzo Spadafora is hoping to confirm a May 4 date for the return to Serie A training as soon as possible, with the current restrictions on movement and outdoor activities set to end on May 3.

RELATED| Italy sports minister hoping to confirm May 4 date for Serie A training return

Defending champion Juventus was a point clear of Lazio through 26 games at the time of postponement and Gravina hit out at those calling for the cancellation of the season.

"I share the minister Spadafora's hope of resuming on May 4, with all due caution and guarantees," Gravina told Rai Radio.

"It's a complex moment for our country, economy and football, which is one of the most important industries. With a sense of responsibility, availability and common sense, we'll find the right way.

"Those proposing to invoke the cancellation of the season don't like football or Italians and want to take away the hope of future and restarting football. I’ll hold out until the end.

RELATED| Not finishing Serie A season would start 'series of disputes' – FIGC chief Gravina

"We've developed a strict and careful but flexible health protocol, which we'll deliver to ministers Spadafora and Speranza tomorrow [Saturday].

"It'll take three weeks of safety measures so we can start again in late May-early June. There will be a period of controls to ensure the negativity of all those attending the events If everyone tests negative, there won't be any problems of distancing or the virus spreading.

"As for restarting with the Coppa Italia semifinals, this programme concerns just Serie A. We're still waiting for the calendar. I hope everyone is able to play in their own stadiums. If it's not possible then we'll look at alternative solutions."

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :