India hosted the World Cup in 2018 in Odisha’s Bhubaneswar, and the team got an automatic qualification for the quadrennial tournament.
With home support behind the ‘Men in Blue’, India was expected to make a daring attempt at winning the title. The team was pitted in Pool C with Belgium, South Africa and Canada.
It started the campaign with a 5-0 win over South Africa. This was followed by a 2-2 draw against Belgium, the toughest opponent in the Pool. The group stage ended on a high for India as it beat Canada 5-1.
RELATED HOCKEY WORLD CUP COVERAGE
- Who are the five international stars to look out for in FIH WC in Odisha?
- What are the FIH rankings of teams ahead of men’s WC?
- Complete squad list of all 16 teams
- Which team has won the most Hockey World Cup titles?
- Hockey World Cup: All you need to know about the WC trophy
- Who are the top goal scorers at every men’s WC since 1971
- Complete list of men’s WC winners from 1971 to 2018
- Full fixtures list, knockouts, dates, time and venues in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela
It ended the group stage at the top spot and made it to the quarterfinals. It faced Netherlands, which had made it via the crossover route, in the last eight round.
India lost the quarterfinal 1-2 against the Dutch and that was the end of its campaign in 2018. India ended in the sixth position, based on the total points it earned in the tournament.
Here are India’s results from the tournament:
India results - 2018 FIH World Cup Bhubaneswar
India will again be expected to perform in 2023 with the World Cup being hosted in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela. India will be facing Wales, England and Spain in Pool D.
India starts its campaign on January 13 against Spain.
- Prannoy’s never-say-die attitude sets him apart, says coach Sai Dutt
- Former ref Mike Dean says Taylor ‘mate’ comment ‘blown out of context’
- VIDEO: David Ruiz talks about the Messi impact at Inter Miami
- Vettel texted Verstappen his support in record bid
- Newcastle United vs Liverpool LIVE streaming info; Premier League: When, where to watch; Predicted XI