India will begin its campaign at the FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup on Friday, January 13, at the Birsa Munda Stadium in Rourkela, Odisha.
India is among the teams to have played at every edition of the World Cup, and will be making its 15th appearance at the tournament in 2023.
The last time India lifted the World Cup was in 1975 and since then the best finish the side has managed was 5th at the 1994 edition.
But backed by home support, and high on confidence after the Olympic bronze medal in 2021, India will hope to land a place at the podium.
Who will India face in the group stage?
India has been drafted in Group D along with England, Wales and Spain. If India tops the group, it will advance to the quarterfinal. In case it ends in second or third place, it will play the crossover match and win in order to qualify.
When are India’s group stage games?
India vs Spain - Rourkela - January 13
England vs India - Rourkela - January 15
India vs Wales - Bhubaneswar - January 19
RELATED HOCKEY WORLD CUP COVERAGE
- Who are the five international stars to look out for in FIH WC in Odisha?
- What are the FIH rankings of teams ahead of men’s WC?
- Complete squad list of all 16 teams
- Which team has won the most Hockey World Cup titles?
- Hockey World Cup: All you need to know about the WC trophy
- Who are the top goal scorers at every men’s WC since 1971
- Complete list of men’s WC winners from 1971 to 2018
- Full fixtures list, knockouts, dates, time and venues in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela
What time will India’s games begin?
All of India’s group stage games will commence at 7:00 PM IST.
What is India’s squad for the FIH Hockey World Cup?
Goalkeeper: P.R. Sreejesh, Krishna Pathak
Defender: Jarmanpreet Singh, Surender Kumar, Harmanpreet Singh (Captain), Varun Kumar, Amit Rohidas (Vice Captain), Nilam Sanjeep Xess
Midfielder: Manpreet Singh, Hardik Singh, Nilakanta Sharma, Shamsher Singh, Vivek Sagar Prasad, Akashdeep Singh
Forward: Mandeep Singh, Lalit Kumar Upadhyay, Abhishek, Sukhjeet Singh
Standby: Rajkumar Pal, Jugraj Singh
When and where to watch India’s games at the FIH Hockey World Cup?
India’s games, along with all other games, at the World Cup will be telecast on Star Sports First, Star Sports Select 2 HD, Star Sports Select 2 SD.
The games can also be streamed live on the Disney+ Hotstar mobile app.
- Asia Cup 2023: Gill ton in vain as Bangladesh beats India by 6 runs
- ENG vs NZ: Scorecard, match streaming updates; New Zealand needs 312 to win
- SA vs AUS, 4th ODI Scorecard, commentary and streaming updates
- Asia Cup 2023 most runs, wickets stats: Shubman Gill tops run-scorers list, Pathirana leading wicket-taker
- FIA issues written warning to Red Bull’s Marko for Perez comments