Silly errors cost Dabang Delhi dear, sending the franchise to a 22-36 loss to U Mumba in the ProKabaddi League here on Saturday. Delhi fell to a third straight loss, while Mumba recorded a second win in three matches.
Down 15-21, Delhi had a chance to make a good fist of it, when it had Mumba down to just a single man. Anup Kumar, Mumba skipper, stepped up for a raid. Delhi would have been well advised to hand him an empty foray, with the intention of taking him out and relegating the rival to an invaluable ‘all-out’ on the next play. Instead, two defenders – Sunil and Bajirao Hodage – went for glory and attempted a tackle. It went awry, with Anup scurrying to safety. The serious lapse gave Mumba a 24-15 lead, and the chance to call for reinforcements to aid Anup.
Delhi’s R. Sriram then succumbed on the subsequent raid, and it was curtains for the franchise.
An injury to Delhi’s Anand Patil in the first period was cause for worry. Anand took a few blows to the face, while the antis pinned him down. This left the attacker mildly disoriented. He was helped to the team dugout, where he was given first-aid treatment. Upon the insistence of Bengaluru Bulls owner, Uday Sinh Wala, Anand was taken to the medical room for a thorough examination. The player did not return to action.
U Mumba 36 (Shabeer Bappu 7, Anup Kumar 7) beat Dabang Delhi 22 (Nilesh Shinde 5). ( MATCHCENTRE )
U.P. Yoddha 32 (Nitin Tomar 9) beat Bengaluru Bulls 27 (Rohit Kumar 11). ( MATCHCENTRE )
Latest on Sportstar
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash
- McIlroy tied for lead at Memorial by making fewest mistakes
- Jabeur upset with fans reselling tickets due to women’s match in night session
- Nkunku stars as Leipzig retains German Cup with 2-0 win over Frankfurt