Safarova out of Beijing with wrist injury

The 30-year-old Czech, ranked 29th in singles, has already skipped the ongoing Wuhan Open.

The last tournament Lucie Safarova played was Quebec City two weeks ago, where she reached the singles semifinals as the top seed.   -  NYT

 

Lucie Safarova, the women’s doubles world number one, said she was pulling out of the China Open in Beijing starting on Saturday because of a wrist injury. The 30-year-old Czech, ranked 29th in singles, has already skipped the ongoing Wuhan Open.

“I’m sad to announce I won’t be coming to Beijing for the China Open this year,” Safarova said on Instagram. “My wrist injury still doesn’t allow me to come back on court.”

Together with Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Safarova won at both Wuhan and Beijing last year. Following Mattek-Sands’ serious knee injury at Wimbledon, Safarova climbed to the doubles number one post, replacing her American partner.

READ: Kerber, Muguruza power into Tokyo semis

But she will lose that honour to former world singles number one Martina Hingis on Monday because of the loss of points from China. Safarova reached the US Open semi-finals with her compatriot Barbora Strycova earlier in September. The last tournament she played was Quebec City two weeks ago, where she reached the singles semifinals as the top seed.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

IPL Special

  Dugout videos