Iga Swiatek eased into the quarter-finals of her home WTA tournament on Thursday while Karolina Muchova, the woman she defeated in the French Open final, crashed out after squandering four match points.
World number one Swiatek swept aside Claire Liu of the United States 6-2, 6-2.
It was Swiatek’s fourth win in four meetings against Liu, three of which have come this year.
Second seed Muchova - ranked 18 in the world, was upset by Slovak qualifier Rebecca Sramkova 7-5, 3-6, 7-5 after failing to convert on a 5-1 lead and four match points in the third set.
Muchova has struggled since finishing runner-up to Swiatek at Roland Garros.
She was knocked out in the first round at Wimbledon to world number 103 Jule Niemeier of Germany.
- Para Asian Archery C’ship 2023: India’s compound teams win three gold; Rakesh, Sheetal shine
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues
- Cummins on ODI World Cup win: This Australian team has created its own legacy
- Transgender cricketer retires after ICC ruling
- Indian Oil Corporation stuns Railways in a thriller, wins Inter-Department National Championship