B. Adhiban and N. Priyanka progressed to the second round of the FIDE World Cup after coming through tie-break rapid games in Baku, Azerbaijan, on Tuesday.
However, Harsha Bharathakoti lost out on an opportunity to play Magnus Carlsen in the second round after failing to get past Georgia’s Levan Pantsulaia.
Adhiban produced glimpses of his best form in dismissing Andorra’s Lance Henderson de La Fuente 2-0, winning the 25-minute rapid games in 40 and 25 moves. He next plays Russian Daniil Dubov, rated over 125 points higher, in the next round.
In the women’s section, Priyanka won the second rapid game against Italy’s Marin Brunello for a 1.5-0.5 win. In the second round, Priyanka plays compatriot K. Humpy.
The action comes to life on Wednesday when the seeded players open their campaigns.
The results (involving Indians, Round 1, rapid tie-break):
- World Cup 2023: Business Development Director Sybrand Engelbrecht gets a second chance at cricket
- Afghanistan’s participation in LA Olympics 2028 in the works by IOC, says ICC CEO Allardice
- Andy Murray splits from coach Ivan Lendl after gruelling 2023 season
- World Cup 2023: Van der Dussen guides South Africa to win over spirited Afghanistan
- Lyon calls for postponed Marseille game to be played on neutral ground