A fired-up Robert Lewandowski scored twice as Bayern Munich came from behind to beat last-place Greuther Furth 4-1 in the Bundesliga on Sunday.
The Poland star took his league-leading tally to 28 goals in 23 games and helped Bayern stretch its lead to nine points before second-place Borussia Dortmund hosted Borussia Mönchengladbach later.
If Bayern fans had been expecting a reaction after two games without a win — Bayern lost 4-2 at promoted Bochum before drawing 1-1 in Salzburg in the Champions League — they had to wait till the second half to get it.
Furth captain Branimir Hrgota fired the competitive underdogs ahead in the 42nd minute when his free kick took a decisive deflection off Bayern’s Marcel Sabitzer.
Riled by the setback, Lewandowski was booked for his reaction to Hrgota after the Pole fouled the forward to stop a counterattack.
There were even whistles from some unhappy Bayern supporters at the break. Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann's halftime talk had quick results.
ALSO READ |
Lewandowski equalized only a minute into the second half and Bayern kept pushing to force an own-goal from Sebastian Griesbeck in the 61st. Griesbeck also scored an own-goal in the sides’ previous meeting, which Bayern won 3-1.
Max Christiansen struck the post as Furth pushed for an equalizer, but Lewandowski sealed Bayern’s win with a header inside the left post in the 82nd after Niklas Süle headed a corner back into the danger area and Lewandowski beat two defenders to head the ball inside the left post.
Serge Gnabry set up halftime substitute Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting for the fourth goal in injury time.
Dortmund was under pressure to respond against Gladbach after a lackluster defeat to Rangers in the Europa League and a 5-2 loss at home to Bayer Leverkusen still fresh in the memory.
Relegation-threatened Hertha Berlin hosted Leipzig later Sunday.
- India vs Australia Live Score, 5th T20I: AUS - 104/4 (14); Axar Patel dismisses David
- PKL LIVE Score, Gujarat Giants vs Bengaluru Bulls: Sonu’s super raid keeps Giants in hunt against Bulls; GG 18-21 BB - Pro Kabaddi League 2023 updates
- FC Goa vs Kerala Blasters FC, LIVE Score, FCG 1-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: Gaurs leads through Rowllin Borges’ strike, Diamantakos, Luna come close
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Who are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?
- Indian sports news wrap, December 3: Abhinav Choudhary wins rapid fire pistol gold at National Championships