Chelsea will miss the services of French forward Christopher Nkunku for the earlier part of the season, the Premier League side announced on Tuesday.
“Nkunku has sustained a knee injury which will rule the forward out for an extended period. The 25-year-old has undergone an operation and will now begin a rehabilitation programme with the club’s medical department,” the club said in an official statement.
Nkunku joined Chelsea from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig on a six-year contract last month and has only played in the pre-season friendlies for the Blues so far.
The 25-year-old is a graduate of the famed French national football academy at Clairefontaine and started his professional career at Paris Saint-Germain. He made 78 first-team appearances and was involved in three Ligue 1 title wins and two Coupe de France triumphs before departing for RB Leipzig in the summer of 2019.
The forward impressed during his time with Leipzig winning the DFB-Pokal twice and scoring 58 goals in all competitions in the last two seasons.
Chelsea, having finished a torrid Premier League season the last time around, where it finished outside the top 10, is looking for a fresh start under Mauricio Pochettino, who had guided Tottenham Hotspur to the Champions League final in 2019.
It begins its Premier League campaign against Liverpool on Monday.
- BAN vs NZ: Mushfiqur Rahim out for handling the ball in second Test
- NBA: LeBron James leads Lakers to In-Season Tournament semifinals with win over Suns
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup
- Men’s Volleyball Club World C’ship 2023: All you need to know, preview, schedule, live streaming info
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info