Steven Berghuis will miss the first three games of Ajax Amsterdam’s 2023-24 campaign after he appeared to strike a fan following a 3-1 loss at FC Twente last month, the Dutch football association (KNVB) said on Monday.
In a video circulating on social media, the midfielder could be seen lashing out at what appeared to be a Twente supporter in front of the Ajax team bus before an official intervened.
The Dutch international later apologised for the incident.
“Steven Berghuis on Monday agreed to a settlement proposal from the professional football prosecutor of three matches’ exclusion, one of which was conditional,” the KNVB said.
“He will miss the first three league matches of the 2023-24 season as a result. That includes the overflowing registration of his fifth yellow card...”
Berghuis joined Ajax from Feyenoord at the start of the 2021-22 season in a move that caused controversy in the Netherlands due to the intense rivalry between the clubs.
He was named Ajax’s player of the season in a disappointing campaign in which they finished third in the Eredivisie, outside the two Champions League qualification spots for the first time since 2009.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; TN 162 all-out vs Baroda; Khajuria falls after ton vs Delhi
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- Pakistan players told to put country before franchise leagues under new team director Hafeez
- S.Korea suspend striker Hwang Ui-jo over sex video investigation
- Liverpool set to clinch place in Europa League knockouts