India lost to New Zealand in a penalty shootout in the crossover fixture and was relegated to the classification bracket of the Hockey World Cup 2023.
India lost the penalty shootout 5-4 in sudden death after the score was level 3-3 in regulation time.
India will now face the last placed team of Pool B i.e. Japan in the 9-16th classification match. Japan lost all its three matches in the Pool stage where it faced Belgium, Germany and South Korea.
The four losing teams from the crossover stage move to the classification rounds and are out of contention for the title. Malaysia and India are the teams in the classifications so far.
The best finish India can hope for now is 9th place. If India wins against Japan, it will play the 9-13th place classification match on January 28. A loss would mean a 13-16th place classification match.
India had last ended 9th or below at a World Cup in 2014. India has also ended in the bottom half at the Hockey World Cup in 1986, 1990, 1998, 2002 and 2006.
India’s 9-16th classification match will take place on January 26 at 2PM in Rourkela.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Mumbai jolts Pondicherry, TN two down against Baroda
- Asian Champions League 2023-24: Al-Hilal overcomes Al-Dawsari’s penalty woes to progress in last 16
- Champions League 2023-24: Manchester City claims top spot after recovering to beat Leipzig 3-2
- Champions League 2023-24: Barcelona beats Porto 2-1, returns to knockout stage
- Champions League 2023-24: Shakhtar beats Antwerp 1-0 to keep knockout hopes alive