The Indian team, captained by Savita Punia lost 3-4 to New Zealand on Thursday and retained its third spot in Pool B. In three games, India drew the first two followed by the defeat at the hands of the Kiwis.
India’s opening game against England ended in a gruelling 1-1 draw.
In the following game, the women in blue played out a 1-1 draw yet again, this time against China.
New Zealand qualifies for the quarterfinals after it drew with China and defeated India and England. It sits on top of Pool B with 7 points, followed by England with four points.
While India and China had points each, it was the -1 goal difference that gave India the upper hand for qualifying in the crossover match.
The next fixture for India, on Sunday, is against Spain, who is ranked second in Pool C.
Here’s the points table of Women’s Hockey World Cup:
- Ravindra, Matthews claim ICC Player of the Month award for October
- NBA Roundup: Pacers tops Bucks despite Giannis Antetokounmpo’s 54 points
- India lifts Women’s Asian Champions Trophy title after thumping win over Japan
- Palestinian football team prepares for World Cup qualifying games against a backdrop of war
- NZ vs SL: Rachin Ravindra breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record of most runs in single edition of ODI World Cup before age 25