Welcome to Sportstar 's LIVE coverage of Indian athletes in action and all the major athletics events on Day 9 at the Tokyo Olympics.
FOLLOW: PV Sindhu vs He Bing-Jiao Live Bronze Medal match Updates
PV Sindhu's bronze medal makes it a happy Sunday for India. Do join us tomorrow for live updates from Tokyo.
- We have a new 100m champion! Italy's Lamont Marcell Jacobs wins the gold with a 9.80s sprint. USA's Fred Kerley takes the silver with 9.84 and Canada's Andre de Grasse collects a second successive bronze medal. Usain Bolt's last golden run in the 100m in Rio came in 9.81s!
- We are all set for the men's 100m Olympic final. Will Su Bingtian create history tonight? Great Britain's Zharnel Hughes has a false start and is disqualified from the final!
- Men's high Jump final: TWO GOLD MEDALS have been awarded in men's high jump Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim and Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi cleared 2.37m. Maksim Nedasekau, who also cleared 2.37m in high jump, wins bronze, on countback.
- Women's triple jump final:Venezuela's Yulimar Rojas set a new WORLD RECORD on the way to clinching a gold medal with a 15.67 jump in her sixth and final jump. Portugal's Patricia Mamona took the silver with a 15.01 jump. Spain's Ana Peleteiro won the bronze with a 14.87 jump.
- China's Su Bingtian, with a timing of 9.83 (9.827) finishes on top of the third semifinal. That's a new Asian record! Ronnie Baker finishes with a similar 9.83 (9.829) and qualifies for the final. The two quickest time also comes from the third semifinal as Italy's Lamont Jacobs(9.84) and South Africa's Akani Simbine (9.90) make it to the final. The top four fastest timings are from the third semifinal.
- Great Britain's Zharnel Hughes (9.98) and Enoch Adegoke from Nigeria ( 10.0) qualify from the second semifinal.
- The men's 100m semifinals are underway. The first semifinal sees USA's Fred Kerley (9.96) and Canada's Andre de Grasse (9.98) taking the first two spots to qualify for the final. There are three semifinals with the top two from each leg and the next two fastest athletes from the overall list qualifying for the final. Yohan Blake finishes seventh in Heat 1 with a timing of 10.14.
Golf: India's Anirban Lahiri slipped 14 places to finish tied 42nd in golf with a 5-under 279. Udayan Mane, with a three-over par, finished 56th. Xander Schauffele won the Olympic men's golf tournament on Sunday by one shot from surprise silver medallist Rory Sabbatini of Slovakia. The American world number five finished on 18-under par 266 after carding a 67 while veteran Sabbatini, 45, shot a stunning, course-record 10-under par final round of 61.
12:25 PM IST: PV Sindhu takes on China's He Bingjiao in the bronze medal match at 5PM IST today. Stay tuned!
11:49 AM IST: Anirban made four bogeys and hit three birdies to finish 1-over par in the final round for an overall 5-under par. A few golfers are yet to complete Round 4.
With five bogies and four birdies for an overall 3 over par, Udayan has slipped to the 56th place on the live leaderboard.
9:57 AM IST: Satish Kumar loses to Bakhodir Jalolov 0-5 in the +91kg category quarterfinal at Tokyo Olympics ( Highlights )
8:57 AM IST: My colleague Ayan Acharya will be live blogging Satish's bout against Jalolov in the super heavyweight (+91kg) category. Click here to get all the updates.
7:57 AM IST:Mirza and Medicott stand in 22nd place after completing the Cross Country course with 11.20 points. Their overall score stands at 39.20 (28.00 in the dressage stage).
Great Britain's Oliver Townend leads, having incurred no penalties on the course, with a total of 23.60. Only seven horse-rider teams logged 0.00 today.
On Monday, the 49 teams will compete in show-jumping.
5:57 AM IST: Mirza and Medicott, having started a bit late owing to a technical issue, have picked up 11.20 time penalties in the Cross Country round. As things stand, they are 13th.
4:57 AM IST: In the ongoing last round (4) of men's individual strokeplay, Anirban is ranked 28th, while Udayan has slipped a place further to 56th.
10 players are within four shots of the lead, currently occupied by Xander Schauffele (USA) at 14 under, with Hideki Matsuyama (JPN) a shot behind.
Paul Casey (GBR) and Carlos Ortiz (MEX) are in a tie for bronze at 12 under.
4:48 AM IST: Fouaad Mirza and Seigneur Medicott currently stand ninth in a field of 63 after Dressage with 28.00 total penalty points. They will shortly be in action during the tricky individual Cross Country event.
INDIANS IN ACTION
After a year-long delay because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Tokyo Olympics finally got underway on July 23. India sent its largest ever contingent to the Games - 120 athletes (67 men, 53 women).
Here are all fixtures, timings of events involving Indian athletes on August 1 so that you can stay up to speed!
Golf – Men’s individual – Udayan Mane, Anirban Lahiri – 4:11 AM IST
Equestrian – Cross Country: Individual – Fouaad Mirza – 5:18 AM IST
Boxing – Men's Quarterfinal: Satish Kumar vs Bakhodir Jalolov (UZB) – 9:36 AM IST
Badminton – Women’s singles bronze medal match – P. V. Sindhu vs He Bingjiao (CHN) 5PM IST
Hockey – Quarterfinal Men's: TeamIndia vs Great Britain – 5:30 PM IST
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
- When will Indian athletes play at the Tokyo Olympics?
Events of Indian interest at Tokyo 2020 will begin at 4:11 AM IST on August 1, 2021.
- Where to watch Indian events at Tokyo Olympics?
The Sony Sports Network will broadcast the Tokyo Olympics live in India.
Sony TEN 3 HD/SD will telecast events with Hindi commentary while Sony TEN 1 HD/SD and Sony TEN 2 HD/SD will have English commentary.
Live streaming of the events will be available on the SonyLIV and JioTV apps.
Latest on Sportstar
- Messi to leave PSG at the end of season, confirms Galtier
- No swag, but Al-Nassr’s Ronaldo puts swagger in Saudi football
- ENG vs IRE: England team bus blocked by Just Stop Oil protesters ahead of Ireland test
- It’s a mindset thing: Hayden on India’s ICC title drought, advises them to forget about outcome in WTC final
- French Open 2023: Title contender Rybakina marches past teenager Noskova into third round