Pakistan called up fast bowlers Shahnawaz Dahani and Zaman Khan as backups for the Asia Cup after Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah picked up niggles during the 228-run defeat to India on Monday in the Super Four stage of the tournament.
The Pakistan Cricket Board said that team management in Colombo will “only request replacement” from the technical committee of the Asian Cricket Council if both Haris and Naseem were ruled out for the next seven days.
Haris and Naseem will remain under the observation of the team’s medical panel while Dahani and Zaman will join the team as backups for the rest of the tournament.
The PCB said Haris felt “a little discomfort in his right flank” on Sunday — when he returned figures of 0-27 in five overs against India — before rain forced the game into the reserve day when he didn’t take the field. India posted a massive 356-2 on the back of unbeaten centuries from Virat Kohli and K.L. Rahul. Pakistan was all out for 128 in reply.
Naseem went off the field late during India’s innings on Monday with an injury to his bowling shoulder. He had 0-53 in 9.2 overs.
Haris and Naseem didn’t bat against India.
Pakistan, which plays Sri Lanka on Thursday, beat Bangladesh last week in the first Super Four game.
- Brazil vs Argentina LIVE Score, FIFA World Cup qualifiers: Messi & co. eye win vs the Selecao; Kick off at 6:00 AM IST
- When and who does India play in its next FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifier
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers AFC points table after India vs Qatar: Blue Tigers third in Group A
- Tamil Nadu’s Mareeswaran hopes to realise Olympic dreams through Senior Nationals Hockey tournament
- Davis Cup: Raonic gives champion Canada fast start v Finland