A 10-man India defended well but suffered a 0-1 defeat to Asian champion Qatar in its World Cup qualifying round match on Thursday.
Abdel Aziz scored in the 33rd minute in a match completely dominated by the Qataris.
Qatar, which was yet to lose a match, had waves of attacks with eight to nine players in the Indian half for most of the time. Goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu had to pull off a series of saves to keep the margin of loss small.
India, however, played with 10 men from the 17th minute onwards after defender Rahul Bheke was red carded for a second booking. He had earlier received a yellow card in the ninth minute.
India did have two good moves in the match from counter attacks with Manvir Singh in the thick of things on both occasions.
India captain Sunil Chhetri, who returned to the team after recovering from COVID-19 infection, was replaced by Udanta Singh at the resumption of second half.
A winless India finished its tournament in the third spot in Group E with seven points from eight matches.
- IND vs AUS Final Toss Update, World Cup 2023: Australia wins toss, elects to bowl
- India vs Qatar LIVE score, IND 0-0 QAT, FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier: Match kicks-off, Blue Tigers look for second consecutive win
- After India’s heartbreak in the cricket World Cup, fans look for hope in Indian football against Qatar
- Brazil vs Argentina Dream 11 Prediction, 2026 FIFA CONMEBOL Qualifiers: BRA v ARG predicted XI, fantasy team, team news
- Indian sports news wrap, November 21