India’s ace shuttler P V Sindhu defeated China’s Zhang Yi Man to enter the Malaysia Masters semifinal on Friday.
The double Olympic medallist took an hour and 14 minutes to defeat the lower ranked Chinese 21-16, 13-21, 22-20.
Sindhu avenged her round-of-32 loss to Zhang, ranked 18th, in the All England Open earlier this year. She will face seventh seed and world number nine Gregoria Mariska Tunjung of Indonesia in the semifinals on Saturday.
In the men’s singles event, H S Prannoy beat Japan’s Kenta Nishimoto 25-.23, 18-21, 21-18 to advance into the semifinals.
He will now face Christian Adinata of Indonesia, who defeated Kidambi Srikanth, in the semifinals.
Prannoy has never played against the 21-year-old Adinata, who began playing at the senior level just last year.
In a match that lasted for 57 minutes Srikanth won the first game against Adinata, while losing the other two. The scoreline stood at 21-16, 16-21, 11-21 with the Indian suffering the brunt.
Malaysia Masters is the first event for the Road to Paris- the qualifying cycle for Paris 2024 Olympics.
With inputs from PTI
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 5: Pujara rebuilds for SAU vs MUM; Punjab nears 100 vs TN; Padikkal key for Karnataka
- Messi’s Miami to face El Salvador national team
- Former Brazil, Atletico Madrid defender Filipe Luis to retire at season’s end
- Focus on Paris as Australia plan small swim team for world championships
- Europa League 2023-24: Liverpool powers into last 16, Brighton reaches knockouts