Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior tore a leg muscle while playing with Brazil’s national team in South American World Cup qualifying, the Spanish club said Saturday.
Madrid said medical exams showed Vinicius has a muscle tear in his left leg. He was injured in Brazil’s 2-1 loss at Colombia on Friday, having to be substituted before halftime.
Madrid did not give a timetable for Vinicius’ recovery, but that type of injury can sideline players for about two months.
Vinícius “has been diagnosed with a tear in his left femoral bicep which is affecting the tendon in his hamstring. His recovery will be monitored,” the club said.
Madrid has already qualified for the knockout stage of the Champions League. It is a couple of points behind leader Girona after 13 rounds in the La Liga.
The 23-year-old Vinicius has scored six goals for Madrid this season, including three in the team’s last two matches.
- UEFA Champions League: Free-scoring Arsenal want to win it all says Martin Odegaard
- Rio Open: Defending champ Norrie moves into second round
- Champions League: Inter’s Inzaghi unsure what to expect from Atletico and old friend Simeone
- Munna Khalid: From Jamia Millia Islamia to BWF Para Badminton World Championships
- Fritz downs Paul to capture ATP Delray Beach Open title