Chennai Super Kings beat Gujarat Titans in the IPL 2023 final by five wickets in a rain-hit match at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Tuesday.
Chasing a mammoth 215-run chase against GT on Monday evening, rain curtailed the CSK chase after just three balls into the first over with four runs on the board.
The game resumed after long break following another spell of rain at the venue. Ruturaj Gaikwad (26) and Devon Conway (47) set up the chase with a brisk stand before cameos from Ajinkya Rahane (27) and Ambati Rayudu (19) lightened the load.
With 22 required off 14 balls at the dismissal of Rayudu, CSK skipper MS Dhoni walked out as the no. 6 batter and was dismissed for a golden duck by Mohit Sharma.
The chase went down to the wire, with 10 required off two balls against Mohit who was hitting back-to-back yorkers against Shivam Dube (32 not out). Ravindra Jadeja (15 not out) slammed Mohit for a six over long-on and a four down to win the title.
CSK, which had finished ninth last year, equalled Mumbai Indians with its fifth title in the IPL. Captain Dhoni, playing in his 11th final, also equalled Rohit Sharma for the most titles as captain.
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Kishan scores fifty; India sets West Indies 365-run target
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present
- Deodhar Trophy: Tournament favourite South Zone looks to open campaign on a high against North Zone