Wild card Sumit Nagal got off to a strong start by beating Yasutaka Uchiyama of Japan 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-4 in the first round of the Pune Open ATP Challenger tournament at the Balewadi Stadium on Tuesday.
In the pre-quarterfinals, Nagal will play qualifier Dominik Palan of the Czech Republic who beat sixth seed and compatriot Dalibor Svrcina 6-4, 7-6(4).
Prajnesh Gunneswaran went down against top seed James Duckworth, after winning the first set. Duckworth, who finished as runner-up in Bengaluru last week, won 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-3.
Wild card Mukund Sasikumar ran into the champion of the last two Challengers in Chennai and Bengaluru, third seed Max Purcell of Australia, and lost 6-3, 3-6, 0-6.
The other wild card, Arjun Kadhe, was beaten in straight sets by Maximilian Neuchrist of Austria.
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers AFC points table after India vs Qatar: Blue Tigers third in Group A
- Tamil Nadu’s Mareeswaran hopes to realise Olympic dreams through Senior Nationals Hockey tournament
- Davis Cup: Raonic gives champion Canada fast start v Finland
- India loses against Qatar in FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifier, stays second in Group A
- FIFA World Cup 2026 AFC qualification: How can India qualify for FIFA WC?