Punjab Kings seamer Arshdeep Singh provided an unbelievable finish over Mumbai Indians in a 13-run win as he broke the middle-stump off successive deliveries in the final over at the Wankhede Stadium on Saturday.
Defending 15 in the final over of Mumbai’s 215-run chase, Arshdeep castled Tilak Varma and Impact Player Nehal Wadhera with searing yorkers to the middle-stump, breaking it towards the base, twice in two balls.
Arshdeep missed a hat-trick as he bowled a wide yorker to Jofra Archer but only conceded two runs in the final over to cap off a sensational win which seemed improbable at one point for Punjab. Suryakumar Yadav’s 57 alongside Cameron Green’s 67 had helped Mumbai move towards a first successful 200-run chase at the Wankhede. However, Arshdeep returned for his third over in the 18th to dismiss Suryakumar, conceding just nine runs in the over.
The left-arm seamer finished with figures of 4/29 in four overs as PBKS returned to winning ways - its fourth in seven games.
Arshdeep also marched to the top of the IPL 2023 Purple Cap list with 13 wickets from seven matches. The 24-year-old also became the fourth PBKS bowler to amass over 50 wickets in the IPL.
Reflecting on his performance after the match, Arshdeep said: “Feels good whenever I take wickets. Right now I feel even happier as the team won. I have shortened my run-up as it helped me with the no-ball problem and I am enjoying my cricket at the moment.”
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Chanderpaul, Brathwaite begin chase for West Indies vs India
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present
- Deodhar Trophy: Tournament favourite South Zone looks to open campaign on a high against North Zone